- Authentic Real Products
- Novelty Toy Items
- Collectibles & Gifts
The Different Types of Viking Axes
Viking axes were not just weapons but also highly versatile tools. As such, they were used for everyday tasks such as chopping wood. Here are the main types of Viking axes and their uses:
- Hatchet Axe: This type of axe is small and lightweight, making it easy to carry. It was often used for tasks such as chopping wood or carving.
- Broad Axe: This type of axe is characterized by its wide blade, which makes it perfect for splitting wood and other heavy-duty tasks.
- Throwing Axe: Also known as a tomahawk, this small-handled axe is designed for throwing and was typically used in battle to take out opponents from a distance.
- Battle Axe: This type of axe is heavy and has a long handle, making it perfect for close-quarters combat.
- Double-Headed Axe: This type of axe has two blades, which makes it even more versatile than other types of axes. It was often used in battle to take down multiple opponents at once.
Also, be mindful of the term Full-Tang which means that the metal of the axe extends all the way down the handle. This adds extra strength and prevents the axe head from falling off the handle after extensive use.
How to Choose the Right Viking Axe for You
When choosing a Viking axe, it is important to consider its purpose.
If you are looking for a decorative piece, then you will want to choose an attractively designed axe with intricate carvings.
If however, you are looking for a functional tool then you will want to choose an axe that is well-balanced and made from high-quality materials to ensure it can handle the workload.
Many Viking axes were elaborately carved, which served both functional and aesthetic purposes.
The carvings often depicted Norse gods or other mythological creatures, which served as a reminder of the Vikings' pagan beliefs. These carvings may have also made the axe more aerodynamic and could help balance the weight of the blade.
Additionally, if you are planning to use your axe, it is important to choose an axe that is the right size for you.
An axe that is too heavy can be difficult to wield, while one that is too light may not be as effective as it could be when chopping wood or during battle.